Funny thing? In addition to our usual grain-free and dairy-free fare; every meal I have made and every meal I have photographed over the last five days has also been free of eggs, nightshades, nuts, seeds, legumes and sugar.
I know that in my previous life my first thought would have been “what are you eating then?”
My answer today? Food! Real food. Really, really good food!
Among the things I have made recently, one of the items my family has been most excited about was also one of the more simple sides I have made.
These Sweet Potato Hasselbeck Potatoes are not only visually appeasing, they are soft in the middle have just the slighted crunch on the edge.
Mix and match your seasonings to match the flavor of your meal couplings. With so many options, these will undoubtedly become your favorite potatoes as well.
- 8 small sweet potatoes
- 5 Tbs coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 450f. Oil a large shallow glass baking dish.
- Peel potatoes and place each on a cutting board. If there is trouble getting potatoes to sit still, cut a ¼ inch slice from the bottom of the potato to help the potato lie flat and not roll, and discard the slice.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice each potato crosswise, making ¼ in apart slices and cutting down vertically. Be careful not to slice too deeply, stop slicing approximately ¼ inch above the bottom of the potato.
- Run each potato under cold water and flex gently to allow the fans to open.
- Carefully brush each potato with melted coconut oil, ensuring some of the oil gets into each crack. Place the potatoes in an oiled baking dish, sprinkle with garlic, salt, thyme and oregano, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an addition 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes turn lightly golden and crispy on the outside with a soft flesh on the inside. Serve warm.
- Makes 8 Servings
Need more potato-rific ideas? Be sure to visit these other FoodNetwork Comfortfest Recipes!
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Grilled Smashed Baby Potatoes With Green Harissa Sauce
Devour: 5 Ways to Cook Potatoes
Haute Apple Pie: Twice-Baked Southwestern Sweet Potatoes
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Healthy Warm Potato Salad With Onion and Vinegar
Red or Green?: Spicy Baked Sweet Potatoes
Virtually Homemade: Twice-Baked Potatoes With Cheddar and Caramelized Onions
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Crispy Potatoes With Baked Eggs and Pesto Yogurt
Cooking With Elise: Vavos Stewed Potatoes
The Heritage Cook: Potato and Sweet Potato Gratin With Bourbon-Laced Cream Sauce
The Cultural Dish: Garlic and Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
Thursday Night Dinner: If You Need Me, I’ll Be With My Potato Soup
Feed Me Phoebe: Baked Sweet Potato Fries With Rosemary
Add a Pinch: Loaded Smashed Potatoes
From My Corner of Saratoga: Garlic and Herb Infused Cheesy Potatoes
FN Dish: Well-Loved Potato Sides