I do not eat potatoes often; my body just isn’t ready to process that many carbs.
That being said, Thanksgiving only comes once a year and these cheesy, delicious slices are worth a once-a-year indulgence.
One of my favorite Thanksgiving sides, I am pleased to share these with you today.
May your holiday be filled with joy.
- 2 lbs potatoes, sliced thin
- 4 slices uncured, hickory smoked bacon*
- 2c Pumpkin Puree (I use homemade)
- 1 can Whole-Fat Coconut Milk
- ¼ c Nutritional Yeast + enough to sprinkle (I use KAL Nutritional Yeast, it’s safe, vegan and delicious!)
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp smoked sea salt (I purchase mine at the farmer’s market, although this alderwood smoked sea salt is perfect for this dish!)
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- Preheat oven to 400f. In medium sized sauce pan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and reserve fat*.
- Add in pumpkin puree, coconut milk, ¼ c nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked sea salt, paprika, and cayenne to sauce pan. Cook over medium-high heat until sauce begins to bubble, remove from heat. Crumble bacon and stir into cheese sauce (optional).
- Cover the base of a 2-quart casserole dish with a thin layer of cheese sauce (approximately ¼ of the sauce). Over this, carefully lay 1 layer of thin potato slices (approximately ¼ of the slices), then alternate cheese and potatoes, making sure the top layer is cheese. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with nutritional yeast and place dish in oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Makes 8-10 servings.
- *If opting for a vegan version, replace bacon grease with 2 tbs coconut oil, use smoked paprika and smoked cayenne for an extra-cheesy flavor.
Need more Thanksgiving inspiration?
Be sure to visit my FoodNetwork Fall Fest Friends and their delicious Thanksgiving recipes below:
Feed Me Phoebe: Five Spice Winter Squash Soup
Chez Us: Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Virtually Homemade: Brussels Sprouts Salad With Avocado and a Tangerine Vinaigrette
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Spicy Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
Red or Green?: Bolitas Bean Salad
Devour: Thanksgiving Yam and Sweet Potato Sides That Are Almost Desserts
The Heritage Cook: Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing or Dressing
Cooking With Books: Rosemary and Pear Potato Salad
FN Dish: Old School Sweet Potato Soufflé