When Phoebe invited me to her Virtual Viewing Party and All-American Potluck, the first thing that popped into my mind was apple pie.
I mean, besides hot dogs, what is more American than apple pie?
Only, I am not a huge fan of apple pie.
Don’t ask me why, I am not 100% certain; I just know that even before being diagnosed with celiac disease, apple pie was never really my thing.
What I do love though is a good apple crumble. Laced with cinnamon and just the right amount of crunch, a good apple crumble always seems to hit the spot.
This dish makes enough for a party. Feel free to half the recipe and bake it in a smaller pan if you must (9X9 square should do), but I love desserts that can feed the crowd and this one is no exception.
Grain-free, nut-free, egg-free and refined sugar-free, you’ll only find good stuff here. Eat it up! xo
- 3lbs Apples (organic is best, I prefer Cortland’s for baking)
- ¼ c Coconut Oil
- ¼ c Palm Syrup (Honey, Agave or Maple Syrup would work well, too)
- 1 Tbs Cinnamon
- ½ Tbs Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Cloves
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ c Coconut Flour
- 1 c Coconut Flakes
- ½ c Palm Sugar (Turbandino or other non-refined dry sugar, just not in liquid form)
- ½ c Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350f.
- Prepare 13x9 in baking pan by greasing generously with coconut oil, set aside.
- Prepare apples by washing, coring and slicing each, placing wedges into large mixing bowl. Carefully drizzle ¼ c coconut oil, palm syrup, 1 Tbs cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and sea salt over apple slices, mixing with hands to ensure even coating throughout.
- Spread slices evenly throughout pan, set aside.
- Prepare topping by mixing coconut flour, coconut flakes, palm sugar, coconut oil, cinnamon and sea salt in medium sized mixing bowl, stirring until an easy crumb is created.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over seasoned apple slices.
- Bake at 350f for 20 min or until slices are lightly tender and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve as-is or with your favorite non-dairy vanilla ice cream.
- Makes 8-10 servings
Be sure to join the rest of this All-American Potluck and enjoy these amazing dishes:
Feed Me Phoebe: Kitchen Sink (Gluten-Free) Mac n’ Cheese
Cooking With Books: Apple Pie Shortcake
The Naptime Chef: Baked Mac & Cheese with Marinara
Creative Culinary: Spiked Apple Crisp
Sarcastic Cooking: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Bacon and Tomato
Umami Girl: All-American Macaroni and Cheese
Flavia’s Flavors: Pumpkin Doughnut Holes
The Promise 365: Grandma Mary’s Baked Beans
Women on Fire: Red, White, and Blue Muddle Sunrise
One Hungry Mama: Dulce de Leche Apple Pie
Mother Would Know: Basil, Sundried Tomato and Goat Cheese Pasta
Ronaldo’s Cucina: Cuban-Inspired Ground Beef
Chef Pippa Calland: Deviled Eggs
Stan Frazier: Shrimp Scampi
Sweet Dreams LA: Fuji Apple Bread Pudding with Southern Whiskey Butter Sauce
Chef Robin Bodwin: Bread and Butter Jalapenos
Rawstachio: Elvis Sandwich 2.0
Chef Cody Utzman: Grilled Rib Eyes with Olive Oil Smashed Potatoes and Sweet Corn Salad
This post is also being shared with: September 2012 GFE Virtual Gluten-Free Support Group