Life, as we all know, can sometimes become so overwhelming.
That doesn’t always mean bad or negative things are happening…it just simply means our plate is overflowing.
Mine has been overflowing for quite some time, hence the lack of sharing here!
Recently though, I’ve begun to realize that most of my overflow is self inflicted.
I mean, really…how often do we become overwhelmed, feel like there is no help or reprieve, only to find out we’ve been doing the work all along, or that people are willing to help, or that it really isn’t that bad after all?
Most recently I’ve been running an amazing facebook group designed to help others (and myself) get 2016 started off right!
We spent the first 30 days doing a dedicated Whole30, walked through the reintroduction process together, and now are in a point where we are maintaining our healthy habits to experience lifelong improvement, energy, weight loss and more!
And despite all the craziness in my life, I’ve been sharing recipes like crazy over there!
So last night as I posted pictures of the dinner I created to help my food allergic children enjoy a meal at their Wednesday night youth group; it hit me…I need to stop sharing so much here and remember to spread the love on my blog first!
Not that I am going to stop sharing recipes there, that would defeat the whole purpose of the group…I just plan to share more of them here, too!
Thus, today I would love to share my Paleo Chicken Parmesan with you!
Very similar to more traditional recipes of Chicken Parm, this recipe is a great example of how easy it is to adjust old recipes into new, healthier creations just by switching out a few ingredients.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 large egg
- ½ c canned coconut milk
- ½ c almond flour
- 3 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 to 5 tsp olive oil
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28oz can organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- ¼ c chopped fresh basil
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425f. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Lightly beat the egg in a medium bowl, add in coconut milk and whisk until fully combined. Combine the almond flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, basil and oregano in a medium sized baking dish. Working with 1 piece of chicken at a time, dip both sides into the egg and milk mix, shaking off excess. Dip each piece into the almond flour to coat.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer chicken in a single layer to the prepared baking dish and bake approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
- Tomato sauce: heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add in the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, overed, until all the flavors are blended and sauce begins to thicken slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the basil.
- Serve by layering tomato sauce over kelp noodles, spaghetti squash or vegetable noodles (optional), then placing the chicken over the tomato sauce.
- Serves 4